= EEA Website Design 2011 =
This document is the starting point for the re-design work for the EEA website during its platform upgrade to Plone 4 in 2011.
'''Re-design 2011 main goals:'''
- '''Refreshed design'''
- '''Accomodate design for better mobile accessibility'''
- '''Improve general template layout (header, footer, navigation)'''
- '''Improve front page layout'''
- '''Improve layout of several main areas and templates'''
1. clean and simple design
1. avoid the use of borders and boxes (use simply background color to separate/highlight areas)
1. make use of overlays
1. make use of transparency
1. make use rounded corners with CSS
1. use JQuery effects (slides, accordion etc)
1. more use of larger images, e.g. as background for messages, for thematic pages, in articles/news
1. adaptable design to smaller screens (small internet devices like smart phones and tablets)
1. start using HTML5 where possible and relevant
1. move 2 level navigation (left navigation) to the right column
1. make 2 level column navigation wider (as screen as wider today and the content are is better readable)
1. introduce breadcrumb
1. full screen mode
1. smaller top header for application / large sub sites
=== Specific pages ===
data and maps
TO BE CONTINUEDFurther reading
'''Previous design studies'''
- 2009: [wiki:RedesignPlan2009]
- 2009: [wiki:SwotWebDesignStudy2009]
- 2007: EeaDesignStudies
- [http://www.eea.europa.eu/about-us/documents/corporate-identity-manual Corporate identity manual]
- see also [https://svn.eionet.europa.eu/projects/Zope/search/opensearch?q=wiki%3AWebHistory EEA design history]